............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Monday, September 26, 2011

Shepherds Pie Grandma Style

When the fall season arrives I enjoy making more hearty and heavy meals for the family. Shepherds Pie seems to fit the need of a warm wholesome and tasty meal for the cooler weather seasons.  I put together this recipe from memory so here is what I came up with. Not all shepherds pie is made with a crust. If you would rather leave out the crust you can just spray your baking pan before pouring the filling in the pan.

Shepherds Pie
Preheat oven to 400 deg.

Potato Topping
Before making the filling or crust boil  4 large potatoes. Mash the potatoes, with butter, milk, and season to your taste.

Filling

2 to 3 chicken breasts cooked in skillet with 1 tsp olive oil and cut into small pieces
5 medium carrots roughly chopped and boiled
1 cup cooked peas
1 to 2 bullion cubes ( your taste)(chicken broth can be substituted)
1 chopped onion (cooked with the chicken)
2 cloves chopped garlic (cooked with the chicken)

While the chicken is cooking prepare the crust.

Crust

2 cups flour(chilled)
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup cold butter cubed
3 to 6 table spoons ice water

In a chilled bowl add salt to flour and mix, cut in butter until crumbly.
Slowly add water until the dough forms a nice ball.
Do not over kneed.
Cover with a flour towel and let rest.


After the chicken, onions and garlic are almost done add about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water to the skillet and break up the bullion cubes over the chicken stir and allow to simmer.
To thicken the broth add a tsp of corn starch in to a 1/4 cup water and slowly stir into the simmering broth.
Now add the carrots and peas. Once the broth is thickened turn off the flame and let it cool a little while you roll out the crust. 

Roll out the pie crust and place into a baking pan.
Pour the filling onto the crust. Spoon the mashed potatoes over the top of the filling and spread out to cover the filling. 
Bake for about 25 to 30 min. or until the topping is browned and the crust is done.


14 comments:

  1. Yum! I've never made it with a crust, but crust would make a big difference! Thanks for the tip and recipe!

    BTW, every time I come to your site, I giggle at the cute faces that greet me from your grandkids pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so delicious. I told my daughters yesterday we need to get together soon and make some shephard's pie. We all love it here. I've never tried it with anything but beef. I'll have to try the chicken next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so tasty! Will definitely have to try this very soon.. who would have thought, Shepherds Pie with chicken?? Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantatstic idea to add another kind of meat.And why not.Love your topping looks so fluffy:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool take on Shepards Pie! Thanks so much for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made Shepards Pie. This looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! I love just about anything that includes potatoes. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never tried shepherds pie with chicken, I think I would like it better than with beef. Sounds like a great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm...that looks delicious! I'll have to try it...I've been looking for a good recipe for a big homemade meat pie!

    Carla @ Jansen Family Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! I always wanted to make Shepherds pie. The frozen ones in the store are just not like homemade. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter will love this recipe since she really dislikes beef. Thanks for posting.
    adriana(dot)grillo(at)live(dot)ca

    ReplyDelete
  12. this recipe sounds great, it's been for ever since I've had shepherds pie, my sister use to make it

    ReplyDelete
  13. My momma used to make this all the time but never with the crust. I'm so going to make this real soon. Now that I have the taste in my mouth I'd say next week LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great recipe. And the chicken makes it better for your health

    ReplyDelete