............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Simple Cake Decorating Tip: Icing With Out Crumbs

I started decorating cakes when my daughter asked me to make her Wedding Cake. I did a lot of practicing when I first started. I would like to share with you some of the easy techniques I learned along the way. My first question was how do I keep cake crumbs out of the Icing while I am frosting my cake. Have you ever frosted a cake and been aggravated with the crumbs getting into the icing making the surface speckled with bits of cake. I can not stand crumbs in my icing. The answer I found that worked for me was to use the two layers of Icing method. The first layer is called a crumb layer. The second is the finishing layer.

Chill the cake before you begin. I usually set it in the freezer for 15 to 30 minutes. Now dust any crumbs off the cake. Your icing should be room temperature.  This will make it easier to spread. Use a spatula to spread a thin layer of icing over your cake. Try not to let the spatula touch the cake. Once you have the first layer of icing on the cake let it sit to air dry for about 5 minutes.  Now spoon a large amount of icing in the center top of the cake. Using the spatula spread the icing out to the edge. Do not allow the spatula to touch the crumb layer. Use a sweeping motion from center to edge. Lift the spatula taking the excess icing off. Scrape the icing off the spatula returning it to the bowl. If there are any crumbs on the spatula or icing clean the spatula off with a paper towel.  Now you can frost the sides with icing. Cover the sides with icing. Hold the spatula straight up and down. Hold the edge of the spatula against the cake smoothing the icing as you turn the cake. Any excess build up of icing can be returned to the bowl. Continue until the sides are smooth. Sorry I do not have any photos of this process.

  This is a photo of a smooth cake top. It was taken before the top was decorated. ( one of my first practice cakes)

This is the same cake with the sides decorated.



26 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this tip. I hate those crumbs too. Now I know how not to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip!

    Love the results and Happy Hallowe'en!

    Linda
    beachside cottage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cakes are so pretty, I've never iced a pretty cake before. Thank you for the tips. Do you make your own icing? I want to find an icing recipe that is easy to work with for pound cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really really smooth - nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty cake! I've done a few cakes, but not very successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cake looks amazing.And tips from experienced hand we can always use;) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is great advice! Now I just need to learn to make a cake. I love to bake but I have never been able to make a cake. Strange huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this great tip! Thanks for sharing! I am now your newest follower via the Creative Bloggers' hop; and I hope you will follow me, too! Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, great tips! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips. Your cake is fantastic. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the tip . Now I don't have to worry about the crumbs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I never would have thought to put it in the freezer for a bit before! I want to be able to do this so badly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing. I always have trouble with those crumbs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great tip! I usually make my kids bday cakes and always ran into the crumby icing issue. Now I know how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice job, and great tips. I love decorated cakes but don't have the patience for them.
    Dawn/Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't yet tried this Bonnie... but then I don't make cakes any longer... especially those with icing. I sure do miss them though. Your cakes always look great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't bake so won't even attempt to do this but your cake looks really lovely. Thanks for sharing the tip so others who can bake will be able to do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohh thank you so much what great tips :).

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great tip. I love learning new things even at my old age, LOL. That is a beautiful cake.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have to try this. I always have trouble with the crumbs. I've never chilled the cake first though and I'm pretty sure I haven't been spooning enough frosting on to prevent the spatula from touching the crumb layer. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just made a big birthday cake for my granddaughter. So much involved to make decorative cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So that's the trick.. I put icing even though the cake is warm. tsk3x... I will do that refrigerating technique next time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great tip! I am busy thinking, "why didn't I think of that!" Thanks so much for sharing this. Your first cake looks pretty good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is what I do when Working with cake! Its one of the greatest things to make it so much easier to frost! Great advice!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can make things taste amazing, but when it comes to the looks I am not that talented :) I wish mine would ever look like yours! Definitely saving those tips!

    ReplyDelete