............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hearty Style Vegetable Soup

I have been working on a vegetable soup recipe that will please my family. Everyone in my family has some dislikes and  it is hard to make a vegetable soup that will be eaten by everyone. This is my latest vegetable soup attempt. This is a low sodium soup. We find with the fresh lemon juice the salt is not missed.


Ingredients

2 medium skinless chicken breasts diced.
1 larger yellow onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 green bell pepper diced
4 stalks of celery cut in bite size pieces
4 large carrots diced
2 cans Italian diced tomatoes
1 large bottle of vegetable juice low sodium( V8)  can substitute tomato juice
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp seven spices (Mediterranean seasoning )  can substitute cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
juice of one medium lemon

In a large soup pot brown onions and garlic, add chicken pieces and begin to brown. Add diced pepper and celery stir  and cook 15 minutes. Add carrots, parsley and diced tomatoes. Add vegetable juice and seasonings. Simmer until carrots are soft. Squeeze in lemon juice to taste.
Serve with fresh baked rolls or crackers. 

7 comments:

  1. You know, I still have not found a really good vegetable soup recipe. I try all kinds and you are right, there is always something someone doesn't like. I am going to have to give this one the ole try. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment. This recipe looks delicious - nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a crisp Fall day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very tasty, although I'm certain I would be the only member of our family to eat it. Oh well, I think I'll make it anyway! :-)

    Blessings,
    Rosann

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so delicious. I should have made home made soup in the crock pot today but instead I started some chili. Maybe over the weekend I will have time to try your yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe is perfect the cold wintery months ahead! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it sounds really yummy. Hubs is super picky as well. I have a super hard time getting him to eat any sort of vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That soup looks great! I want to eventually try it.lol

    ReplyDelete