............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Monday, January 23, 2012

Getting A Rain Barrel For Watering My Garden

I have been thinking about getting a rain barrel to catch the water from our gutters. I want to use the rain to water my garden. I like the idea of reducing the cost of our water bill and being good to the environment at the same time. I came across rain chains when I was looking for a rain  barrel. I had not heard of a rain chain before.
Well, the chains are made to replace a gutter down spout. They are very ornamental and much more attractive than an ordinary plain white down spout. I like the bell shaped chain rains the best. They look nice in copper and can be easily attached to the opening when the spout is removed.
I want to hang one on each corner of our house and place a rain barrel underneath to catch as much rain water as possible. I have always thought my tomato plants grew much better from rain water than our tap water. I really believe the chlorine and other chemicals in the water do not help the plants to grow to their full potential. I have not been drinking tap water in many years. Why should I be feeding the plants that I eat tap water? Just thinking about the three benefits saving money, eating safe foods and being green all in one step. Sounds like a great plan to me.

4 comments:

  1. Gosh I have never seen anything like that - nor have I thought of catching water - but those rain chains are very pretty! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so pretty. I had no idea you could find pretty rain collecting things. Thanks for sharing Bonnie :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just opened a browser to check these out. Oh my gosh how neat, I've never heard of them before. We need some of these, how awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've bookmarked both sites for future use when we move into our new home! I bet the rain sounds so cool running down the chains and bells!

    ReplyDelete