............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Easter Dinner Inspiration


I received a package of gourmet dressing mix and seasoned croutons to review this week from Mrs. Cubbison's. Pooh Bear thinks there must be something in the box for him.
I have been brain storming on what to make with these culinary delights. With Easter so near I decided to create some new dishes for our Easter holiday meal. Today was a test run of the dishes I am trying to make.
I started first with Mrs. Cubbison’s Seasoned Stuffing mix. I am a fan of dressing for our holiday meals. My mother always made homemade stuffing it was a family recipe that was passed down from my great grandmother. Of course my mother had made a few changes through the years. Well, I thought I would try and recreate her recipe using Mrs. Cubbison's Seasoned Corn Bread Stuffing Mix for the base.

I don't actually have her recipe. I just remember helping her make the dressing every holiday. My mother always used two loaves of stale bread cut in to bite sized pieces. While that would be fine if I had stale bread. I do not usually purchase enough bread to let it go stale. This is where Mrs. Cubbison's Stuffing mix comes in very handy. I used one box of seasoned corn bread stuffing mix(2-6 oz. bags of mix).


I tasted the bread crumbs and even smelled them. I wanted to know if they were seasoned to my taste. I must say Mrs. Cubbison's bread crumbs are seasoned perfectly. The bread crumbs are just the right size and dried completely. I poured the bread crumbs in a large bowl. I then diced 4 stalks of celery and half a yellow onion. I sauteed the celery and onions with a tablespoon of butter. I then added 1/3 cup of dried cranberries, and 1/3 cup chopped walnuts and mixed well. I sauteed another two or three minutes and then added the mixture to the bread crumbs.
 Next, I added one cup of chicken broth, 2 eggs and mixed well. If the stuffing is too dry add a little more chicken broth. You can also add a can of mushroom soup at this time if you like.

Bake in a greased covered casserole dish for 30 minutes at 350degrees. If you like the top crisp bake uncovered the last 10 minutes. I plan to make a roasted leg of lamb on Easter day to place on top of the dressing. For today I made a beef roast with carrots and potatoes as a substitute.

Now for Mrs. Cubbison’s Classic Seasoned Croutons. I thought about making a salad but that would be the same old side dish.
I then came up with a great way to add a little crunch to a vegetable casserole. First, choose your vegetables. I chose broccoli, cauliflower and peas. I chopped a half head of cauliflower and added a small bag of frozen broccoli and a small bag of frozen peas. I steamed the vegetables for about ten minutes  Next, I seasoned to taste added a can of cream of celery soup, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/4 cup seasoned croutons and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Toss together and pour into a greased casserole dish top with 1/4 cup croutons and a 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Bake for 30 minutes 350 degrees until brown on top.

Using Mrs. Cubbison's seasoned croutons made the casserole have just the right seasoning and crunch. The seasoning on the croutons taste of buttermilk  and garlic. Very similar to an Italian seasoned crouton. The family gave these recipes a thumbs up. I like Mrs. Cubbison's stuffing mix and croutons alot. I would use them again for cooking great family meals.

You can find Mrs, Cubbison's on Facebook here.
You can read more about Mrs. Cubbison's products and find inspirational recipes here.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness the veggie casserole looks so good and i am definitely going to try it, i think my teens would eat their veggies this way

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering right now! This sounds so good! I'm on my way to your house :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of them but the food looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. everything looks so yummy. New follower from the hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The veggie casserole sounds really good. I like that you can just add your favorite veggies. No peas for us. I would change it to celery. I love celery. Thanks for the great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the only dressing/stuffing mix that I use! Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We really like stuffing (dressing) here in this house. I will have to look for these.

    I really liked your idea with the veggies - I will definitely be trying this one!

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete