............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Making a Dinosaur Cake

Last weekend my grandson turned 2 years old. I had planned to make him a Magic School Bus Cake. At the last minute he asked for a dinosaur cake. I love making cakes so I jumped right in changed gears and this is what I came up with.
I made a thin cake for the base and lightly frosted it. I spread a layer of brown sugar to look like sand.
I baked two ten inch round cakes and cut the parts from these two cakes.
Then a light layer of butter cream icing to hold the fondant in place. I got so busy with the fondant at this time. I forgot to keep taking photos. I will try next cake to take photos of placing the fondant.
I put the rolled fondant on in three pieces. One for the body, one for the tail and one for the head. The spots and spikes are made from dried fondant.

We all enjoyed Little Bug Birthday. Thank you for stopping by to visit. Have a great week.


11 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness you're so creative! I would have never thought of that! I can tell he's all excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Bonnie... That is AWESOME... I love that Dinosaur cake..... Your grandson is lucky...

    I could NEVER do something like that... My kids got regular cakes with M&M's all over them... ha ha

    Congrats...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bonnie,
    Wow, you are really good! Your kids and grandkids must love you to death!
    How cute and creative is this cake!

    And thank yo for visiting Butterbean Row!

    Have a good evening!

    ♥charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun cake. I'm sure it was a hit. I appreciate the photos, I always wonder how bakers get from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute! I wish I could bake cakes but that is not my talent it seems. That dinosaur would be so cute for my grandson's Birthday if only my cakes would turn out to try to make it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aha!! So thats how you made it. It is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!!! That is sooooo cute!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bonnie: I'm Connie at http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, a new GFC friend. I hope you will stop by and be my friend, too.
    Love this cake, that's pretty awesome.
    I also love your picture on your title, with all the kids looking out the window, cute.
    Thanks for sharing the cake and how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not know you were so talented in this area too! Phew.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a talented grandma you are...He looks so pleased with his dinosaur! Way ta go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a super cute cake! You did an amazing job and it looks like he absolutely loved it. Just to let you know that you have been Featured at Anything Goes At Eye Heart Monday's. http://www.eyeheart.ca/2012/05/anything-goes-at-eye-heart-mondays_21.html

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete