............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sweet & Sour Chicken With Out Sugar


I started out today planning to cook up some homemade ketchup. As I was collecting the fixings I realised I had the fixings to make a Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe I had been thinking about.

My tray of ketchup fixings.
I actually think the word ketchup is what made me decide on Sweet and Sour Chicken. For the past few weeks I have come across a couple recipes for Sweet and Sour Chicken while browsing online. Each time I saw the ingredients lists I thought how simple the recipe could be if a little thought was put into the breakdown of the ingredients. Most of the recipes called for a type of vinegar. You can use white vinegar, apple cider vinegar of wine vinegar. Each recipe called for sugar. With my new pledge to reduce our sugar intake I figure any sweetener can be substituted. Each recipe called for different seasonings. I used what I had and liked.  I also added a couple extra ingredients to suit my families taste. I hope you are inspired to try this recipe. 
First off I want to talk about the sweetener I used in my recipe. I replaced refined white sugar with PreSweet Tagatose from NuNaturals. PreSweet Tagatose is a naturally occurring sweetener found in milk, fruits and vegetables. It is lactose free, gluten free and will not raise blood sugar levels.

1 Tsp serving of PreSweet Tagatose = 1 Tsp of sugar. 

Recipe: Sweet & Sour Chicken 

Ingredients:

3 large boneless chicken breasts (I deboned my own)
½ cup cornstarch
2 beaten eggs
olive oil
Salt, pepper, garlic powder or other seasoning
1 green or red bell pepper
1 yellow onion
½ cup apple cider vinegar
5 Tbsp ketchup   
1 fresh squeezed lemon
½ cup PreSweet Tagatose
1 tsp garlic powder
 
Chop onions and green peppers and sauté in a small amount of olive oil. Then set aside. Cut chicken breasts into small cubes. Bite sized pieces are best. Add oil to heated skillet. Season the chicken pieces to your taste. Toss chicken pieces in cornstarch and dip in egg. Fry coated chicken in the skillet until golden brown.
Combine vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice, garlic powder and sweetener in a medium bowl blend well. While making the sauce you should carefully add the ingredients to your taste. If you would like a more sour taste use more vinegar or lemon. For a sweeter taste use less vinegar and a little more sweetener.
Place the chicken back into the skillet. Then add the sautéed onions and peppers. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover and simmer on very low until the chicken is done and the sauce is thickened and bubbly. Serve over white rice.
 I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you recreate this recipe I would love to hear how it turns out. 

Disclaimer: I received the above mentioned product from NuNaturals. The product was used to facilitate the creation of a sugar free recipe. No monetary compensation was received.

12 comments:

  1. This looks so wonderful! They sent me some of the tagalose as well, and Reid and I made mini brownies - they turned out great (I'll be posting about them on my blog soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks yummy. I will have to make it for dinner next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! Never tried sweet and sour at home before
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of tagatose sweetener, but this recipe sounds great. Can you substitute with regular stevia?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Hubs loves the Tagatose in his coffee as you know. We ordered 5 one pound bags and they had sold out of that so they sent us a 5 pound bag.

    I might have to try this recipe after I am finished with a cleanse I am doing. It takes one month to get through the cleanse so it might be awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious. We don't even have any sugar in our house. We use Splenda --and never ever use sugar anymore. We also use Sea Salt instead of salt now. Like you, we are trying to stay healthy... Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've switched to Sea Salt as well. I'm still half sugar though and half good for you. I started by decreasing sugar 1/4. and slipping in the sweetener. I'm now down to 1/2 and 1/2. I'm weaning even one off of sugar but they haven't realized it yet. :)

      Delete
  7. When I make this, I will have to use lemon juice in place of the vinegar. I was using Xylitol but I think the Tagatose is better for me than Xylitol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really delicious. The best part of it is that my dad and step dad could eat this (both diabetics). I will give it a try in the very near future and let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delicious! I am always looking for new recipes.
    nicolesender(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. My brother loves sweet and sour chicken! I will have to try this out for him

    ReplyDelete