............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Sunday, January 27, 2013

How to Grow a Lemon Tree From Seeds

I planted lemon seeds from a couple organic lemons I had during the Thanksgiving holiday. This is the results so far.

First, I cleaned the seeds with fresh water. I rubbed them with my fingers gently under running water. (This is very important because the acid will prevent the seeds from sprouting.)
Next, I soaked them for three days in a dish of water. 
Last, I planted the seeds in potting soil and put in a sunny window. I water them often not letting the soil dry out.
After three weeks, little sprouts started showing. 
I live in the north so I will keep my tree in a large pot that can be brought inside during the winter months. I have read that keeping it pruned back will keep it a manageable size for my patio. 

What do you think? Have you planted anything lately?


12 comments:

  1. Very neat. I cheated and bought an actual potted lemon tree 6 years ago or so. I'd love to start a new one from scratch sometime.

    Like you, I live in the North so I have to bring mine inside for the winter months. However, mine has gotten so large that it stays inside all year.

    Here's a post I did on my own blog awhile back:

    http://www.roscoeramblings.com/2011/10/wordless-wednesday-yes-lemon-tree-will.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planted some wheatgrass for my juicer. I want to try planting some lemon seeds. I wonder if you will get some lemons and in how many years... or months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure how long until I get lemons. Perhaps 3 or 5 years. I don't even know if they will produce lemons. I am not sure if they are self pollinating.

      Delete
  3. I have to wait until after we get back from our next vacation to try this, but I can't wait to do it. I watched the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills or something like that and this one lady grows her own lemons and they are HUGE!!

    Years ago, they used to sell these mini lemon trees that grew lemons the size of half dollars. I might look for one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, but I would love to grow a lemon tree - have been trying to use one lemon a day in my water now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I had a miniature lemon tree for years as an indoor plant. The blossoms made the whole house smell so fresh. And the tiny lemons were perfect for a cup of tea. Now I want one again! Do you think I could grow one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is interesting. I have never thought to grow a lemon tree. Maybe when we buy a house i'll try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is absolutely awesome....can't wait to see how big it gets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How neat, Bonnie. Hope your Lemon Tree does well--and that you have lots of lemons soon!!!!!

    Our Spring flowers are popping up now --but it's too early... Even though it's warm now, the cold weather will return.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made me so itcy to start growing something that I planted 3 ghost pepper plants and I am going to see if I can grow them in a pot in the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome !I'm trying to grow some of my own and that's what mine look like after a month and a half washing the seeds is very important as the lady above stated.I'm excited and can hardly wait for the outcome

    ReplyDelete