............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Home Sweet Home

After being away for a few weeks I am happy to be home. That saying "Home Sweet Home" sure has a lot of meaning for me.
The first day back I had to go for our morning walk and had so much fun. I got to check out the fox hole. I did not even catch a glimpse of the mama and her cubs. I am looking forward to watching them as they grow.
I stopped by our two ponds and found we have some tadpoles that were not there before I left for my trip. I snapped a few photos to share.
That's a pretty nice sized school of tadpoles.
They are hanging out all over the pond in little schools. 
I caught a couple loners out eating some algae.
I am guessing the tadpoles in the schools are about 4 weeks old. I have been reading up on the subject.The tadpoles become social at about 4 weeks old and start hanging out in schools.  I am doing some more research so that I may be able to pass this knowledge on to my grandchildren. I know they will be asking lots of questions. I hope to post more about our study of the metamorphosis of our tadpoles into frogs.
Back to my walk. Sorry about getting side tracked I do tend to get excited when it comes to teaching my grandchildren. 
While walking through the yard I noticed this this Robin had been hopping along behind us. Just before I left on our trip there was an injured Robin hanging around our yard. I had been tossing it some bread crumbs every morning. I though by know it would have left as it seems to be healthy. My husband informed me that has been hanging out following him about the yard and he has continued to feed it. 

The pond on the left is where the tadpoles are. That pond is more like a little bog. It is shallow and has a lot of algae growth. That is also where all the neighborhood birds like to come and bathe. I noticed the black birds hang around the edges of the pond. I am suspect they are fishing for tadpoles. No worries though their are at least a thousand or so tadpoles in that pond. Every year we end up with lots of little frogs every where. After a while most of them wander off to the game reserve which is a stones throw from our home. 

Lastly I snapped this pond photo. I love the reflection in the water. My little morning walk was relaxing.

How about you? Do you have a routine you follow to relax? Hope you have a great weekend. 

6 comments:

  1. So glad you are home, Bonnie. I know that it feels great to be home and take a morning walk. Can't wait for you to see the baby foxes....

    Great group of photos. Hope you have a great weekend. Happy Memorial Day --and don't forget to thank God for our service men and women who do/did so much for us to keep us safe.

    Hugs,
    Betsy
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness no wonder you like to be home. Home is beautiful. And I would say you had a ton of tadpoles! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have a lot of tadpoles! Glad you are home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those tadpoles are so neat! I hope you take more pics as they grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you are thrilled to be home again. Look at all those tadpoles!! It is so cool to watch them grow into frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great that you have all the tadpoles. The kids are going to love all the new sights when they visit!

    ReplyDelete