............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Gluten Free Any Berry Pie With Graham Flavored Crust

What's an Any Berry Pie? An Any Berry Pie is made from any berries you have available to make a pie from. I just so happened to have a basket of mulberries that needed to be eaten. So, my pie is made with handpicked mulberries and a hand full of raspberries.

Recipe
Pie Crust
1 & 1/2  cups Almond Meal Flour 
1/2 cup Coconut sugar or Brown sugar
1/4 stick butter softened
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 tsp salt

Mix all the above ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix the dough by hand until the all ingredients are blended together. Press the dough into a 9 inch pie plate. Refrigerate until the filling is ready.

Pie Filling
3-4 cups of berries cleaned
1/2 cup water
Sweetener of your choice (I used pure cane sugar)
1 & 1/2 tsp Arrowroot flour or corn starch
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice

Place clean berries in a sauce pan with water, lemon juice and sweetener. I added 1/4 cup of sugar as the berries I used were not tart or sour. If your berries are sour or tart use more sugar to your taste. Bring the berries to a boil then turn down to a simmer. Stirring constantly. Mix arrowroot flour or corn starch to an 1/8 cup water mix well. When berries are softened add the arrowroot water slowly to the simmering berries. Stir constantly until the juices start to thicken.  Remove from heat let cool for a few minutes. Pour into prepared pie crust. Chill and serve. 

This is a gluten free crust that taste a little like a graham cracker crust. It can be altered to fit a paleo or vegan diet. 
I hope you all enjoy. When is the last time you went berry picking? Have you taken your children berry picking? 

14 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, Bonnie... I'll pass it on to a friend who tries to eat gluten-free. My favorite berry to pick is blackberries. We have lots of them around here. One time when George and I were hiking near here, we found lots of wild blackberry bushes just covered with berries. We stood there and ate and ate and ate. (DIdn't have a bucket or anything to collect the berries--but we ate a bunch!!)

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your crust looks fabulous!! I one time made an almond flour crust and I had to piece it together.... YUM!!! Bonnie... you are making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love fruit pies of any kind! No berries anywhere near where I live that I can go pick--and the wild patch that used to grow near where my Mom still lives--well they put townhouses there instead----------That crust sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! Wow! I could definitely sit here and tuck right in ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great. I had been wondering how to make a gluten free pie since my daughter has to eat gluten free now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I pinned this - I am always looking for a recipe like this. May I share it next week on my blog giving you credit? sandie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious. I will have to give this a try one weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking pie crust and pie! I have not really had to watch my gluten intake, but have friends who do. Thanks for sharing this great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a wonderful recipe for anyone with gluten issues. Talking to my friends with this problem, it can be very hard to find foods without gluten and it takes constant diligence. I can't wait to share this recipe with them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Isn't it interesting though.... food sensitivities or issues? We are on a gluten-restricted diet so we eat some but not a whole lot of it. If I eat too many berries and other foods with salicylates I get very sluggish! I LOVE berries but they don't love me (at least if I show them lots of love, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the recipe. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete