............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Our Home Schooling Plans

I have been thinking about my grandchildren's education more and more lately. We already know that one grandson is going to be home schooled at least until high school. While not all of my grandchildren will be home schooled, I do plan to be an important part of their education. I have been researching online for some early education materials and happened upon this really neat math curriculum for K-3rd grade. I was instantly drawn to the kindergarten math curriculum. I am not new to homeschooling. I have home schooled each of my four children at some point during their formal education. I home schooled my oldest son for a little over half of his elementary school years because of our frequent traveling. Math was the one subject that I had difficulties in teaching by the book. I never really found a structured math curriculum that allowed for individual needs. This is why I was so excited to find this site. I know I will be teaching my grandson part of the time. I want to be as prepared as possible and not have to scurry about at the last minute looking for a curriculum that we will be happy with. I will continue my search for the best possible home school resources available. In the past it was hard to find enough engaging material that fit each child's needs. This program is the answer to that problem. 
DreamBox Learning also offers a free trial subscription that I am going to try on my granddaughter this year when she turns five. I will find out if I actually like the curriculum enough to stick with it. What I believe I will like the most is the lessons are on the computer. As the child works on their math lessons the program is tracking and recording how each child is progressing. If the child has a problem in a certain area the program adjusts and adds more lessons in that area. I also like that the parents can track their child's progress and see each and every step the child has taken in the program. I really feel kindergarten math is where our grandchildren's foundation starts. I have found that homeschool research will be an important part of our lives for many years to come.

7 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for taking such an interest in you Grandchildrens education. I did not live close enough to my Grandchildren to get super involved in their schooling, but I did try to be there for all the important things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool Grandma! I would love for my kids to have grandparents who were that involved in their day to day lives. A blessing for them to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you homeschooling your grandchildren? sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed. Homeschooling and even unschooling are growing in popularity. I confess that even though I was a teacher, I never considered homeschooling my own kids. I've always admired moms who have the patience and stamina to do it, especially those who do it well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy that you are a part of your grand-kids education. I am as well (my grand-kids). I home-schooled through Lighthouse Christian Academy until I just wasn't able to after my back injuries. It's not always easy to home-school, but it's very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy that you are a part of your grand-kids education. I am as well (my grand-kids). I home-schooled through Lighthouse Christian Academy until I just wasn't able to after my back injuries. It's not always easy to home-school, but it's very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's awesome that you have the patience needed for homeschooling. I wasn't home schooled because my parents just didn't have the time. I'm curious if they would have had the stamina for it. :)

    ReplyDelete