............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Monday, July 1, 2013

DIY: Turtle Birthday Cake

Little Roo's First birthday is coming up soon. While he was visiting we had a little birthday party for him. I love making my grand children's birthday cakes. My daughter has wanted to make it a tradition to make the birthday cakes for her children. I thought that was a fantastic idea so we decided she would make Little Roo's first birthday cake with only technical advice from grandma.

She started with three layers. We then decided to remove one layer as it seemed a little on the tall side. 
Next my daughter rolled out white fondant and draped it gently over the cake.
press the fondant to the sides of the cake starting at the top and slowly working down. Ease the folds and wrinkle out as you move down. Trim off the excess. 

She then added cut out fondant pieces by wetting the back of the cut outs with a bit of water.
Little Roo and Pooh Bear.
Crumbs are the best right?
Her first cake came out beautiful. What do you think?

20 comments:

  1. How cute, cute, cute. I want a turtle cake.... that is adoreable. LOL... she sure did get into eating that cake didn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! You'll have to come visit me at http://www.lisalewiskoster.com and see the birthday cakes I just made for my grandsons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous cake... Your daughter has learned from the 'master'---YOU..... Love it --and I'm sure that all of the kids including the adult ones did also!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely done! I am paying attention here because this has not been one of my better talents. Looks like a pro made that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just precious and look at the Birthday boy growing. I'm featuring this in a scheduled post next week while I will be away. Just too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! She did a great job! Can't wait to see more!
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome cake! Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First birthdays are such a milestone...your cake turned out darling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cake! Love that first birthday and the first cake tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cake came out beautifully and obviously someone enjoyed eating it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW what a cake - it looks cute even before it was iced! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely looks too good to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That cake is beautiful! I want to be able to decorate cakes like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow that looks so great...and sure it does taste so good ... I want a turtle cake too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH MY GOSH! I think my diet is crying!! I know I sure am! I wish I could bake like that :( I so want to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwww, Great job on the cake! Looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete