............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Friday, September 13, 2013

DIY: Reversible Dog Coat

If you are a frequent reader here at Grandma Bonnie's Closet you probably already know about Scooby our most recent rescue dog. If you missed that post you can check it out here.
Each and every morning around 4 am Scooby wants out for a walk. Its a little early for me but I understand his need. Being older he probably can't hold it like the younger dogs can. He usually goes out does his job and then wants to walk a little and inspect all the trees and shrubs around the yard. When he is finished about 15 minutes or so he is ready to go back in to sleep again. Well, there has been a few mornings recently that the air had a little nip in it. It actually felt great to me but Scooby would shiver complete his task and run right for our door. That is when I knew he had to be cold. Now I am wondering how he is going to like the cold winter weather.
So, I decided to make Scooby a coat today. I thought the DIY might come in handy for some of my readers that have dogs.

My first step was to look at pictures of dog coats on line and see how they are constructed. After having an idea of what I wanted basically I started by drawing a pattern onto some old wrapping paper. I used Scooby's neck, waist and back length to create the pattern below.
 Wrapping paper cut into the size and shape I needed.

I found an old sweat shirt for one layer and an old sundress for the other layer. I thought with two layers of fabric not only would the coat be warm but it would be reversible.
 I pinned the pattern on both fabrics and cut them out.
I made a pattern for a collar and cut two pieces of fabric for the collar. I cut off one of the straps on the sundress. I will use the strap to secure the coat to Scooby. I sewed the two collar pieces together leaving the top edge not sewn. I turned the collar outside right.  

I pinned the strap to the right side of the plaid fabric and pinned the collar in place on the right side also. Next, I pinned the navy piece of fabric on top with right sides facing together. The collar and belt are sandwiched inside. 
I sewed a 1/4 inch seam all around the outside edge leaving a small opening at the bottom. I used the opening to turn the coat outside right.


I pinned the remaining opening and stitched around the entire coat leaving it a nice finished look. I attached Velcro on the front wings so it can be secured easily around the neck.  I added a small piece of Velcro on the strap end. I sewed another small piece of Velcro on the inside of the coat for securing the strap around the waist. 
The coat is reversible. But as you might be able to tell I like the plaid side the best. 

What do you think? He sure does like his new coat! I am going to make another coat with a warmer fabric for the cold winter weather. I might even make a rain coat. Those are DIY's in the making. 
Do you think our winter is going to be mild or snowy? I am afraid we are in for a very wet and cold winter. What are you doing to prepare for winter?

18 comments:

  1. That is so cute Bonnie! I need to show this to my Daughter. She has this little dog who freezes in the winter. I bought it a dog snuggie, but it needs more than one little outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! My doggies wouldn't wear a coat though, they'd pounce on each other to take it off lol ( that would be funny to watch though)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see some snow since I live in SC, it is rare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute. My dog is too big and would never wear such, but this is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tutorial! Now that winter is coming this will be useful. We have 3!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, that is so cute! If it weren't for the fact that we are planning to move to FL, I would so make these! I also love that you recycled fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't even venture to guess what the weather's going to be like, it's been so crazy.

    I love the coat, it looks like Scooby is a lucky dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scooby looks great in his coat. You did a great job and I like the plaid side too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a talent you have to just put that together! The sewing fairy definitely passed over me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow nice job on the dog coat! I think we are going to have a bad winter this year. The weather has been really unpredictable in Colorado this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is too cute! Scooby looks adorable in his new coat. I wish I could sew. I would whip one of these up for our rescue dog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great! I'm hoping for a mild winter this year, but you just never know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is so cute. Poor little cold doggie! I've never had a dog that acted cold but some of my friends do that have smaller short-haired dogs and they always wear little sweaters in winter. Adorable. Can't wait to see your next one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Scooby is a cute dog . I am sure this coat is so comfy and looks great on him .

    ReplyDelete
  15. my brother in law's dog has something like this for when it rains or snows. she's a big baby and won't go outside w/out it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is sooooo cute! And so is your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh that is just too cute. I really wish I could be crafty like you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Subscribing from Inspire Me Monday at Create with Joy.

    We (well, our dogs) have just had puppies and there is definitely a nip in the air, so I may be making mini-me dog coats for the little'uns before they get big enough to go to their forever homes.

    ReplyDelete