............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Oatmeal Bars

This is a family favorite. The recipe can be made as cookies but I like to make them bars which take less time and with such a busy schedule we can all use an extra 5 minutes in our day.

Oatmeal Bars/Cookies 

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups quick cooking oats

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and both sugars. Then beat in two eggs, add vanilla and mix well.
Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in oats. Cover, and chill 
dough for at least one hour.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease  cake pan. Press dough into pan. Bake 20  to 30 minutes until lightly brown on edges and tooth pick comes out clean. 
Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting. Transfer to a plate or wire rack.
If you would like cookies instead - grease your cookie sheets. Roll the dough into walnut sized balls, and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Flatten each cookie with a large fork dipped in sugar.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack or plate.
Please enjoy!








Button






22 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. i have a very simlar recipe only you put half the batter in the pan, spread preservers over it, then add the rest on top. Really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try these. They look and sound yummy. I LOVE oatmeal. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh something Little Bit might actually eat! I am always on the hunt for possible things to end his hunger strikes, lol ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for stopping by Concetta's Cafe and following - I am following you right back!!

    Your Oatmeal Bars looks scrumptious and your the pictures of your little darlings are adorable!

    Please visit again soon!
    <><
    Concetta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe! I will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sound really good. I could make them and take them with me for breakfast when I travel. Of course I will have to replace the sugar with stevia and use whole wheat flour. They won't taste as good as yours, but I have gotten used to that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks awesome!! I've been looking for a new "sweet" recipe =). I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These oatmeal bars look delicious! There is something so comforting about eating an oatmeal cookie. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! I love the little girls dresses on your Etsy page too! I'm your newest follower from voiceBoks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI love! Saw you were following me from the Monday Mingle! Thank yo so much..

    This recipe looks delicious.. I love any recipe with oatmeal (anything to increase my milk supply; lol).. and I see your etsy store.. I am going to try remember to feature you on Wednesday.. I love that baby girls crochet dress. If I had the money, I would buy it right this second.. It is for sure going on my want list!

    <3xojo

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so good! Thanks for the follow! Following you back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, we can all use an extra 5 minutes. I like the extra chewy thickness of bars anyway. Thank you for linking at Joy of Desserts, Bonnie. Enjoy the Labor Day Weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this recipe. My boys like those store bought bars, but I don't buy them unless I can get them almost free. I will have to try these and see what they think.

    I found you through the vB GFC hop

    Jenny
    Full Cart Full Wallet

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome, all I have to do is buy oats for this one. Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how yummy-licious. I can't remember the last time we made oatmeal cookies and I've never made oatmeal bars so we will have to try this. I'll try to pick up the ingredients this week and I'll let you know how the cookies or bars turn out. With Abby there is no telling if they will be either cookies or bars ha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That made me hungry--wonder if I have those ingredients in the kitchen??

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now that the kids are back in school I'd like to give this recipe a try for healthy lunchbox snacks. Thanks for sharing.

    Newest follower from vBok's GFC Hop. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll have to try this recipe. I love making oatmeal cookies, but they can be time consuming. The bar form would save prep time & they sound delicious! Thanks for giving me an alternative to the drop style cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  19. With this recipe base, anything else can be added - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have such a sweet tooth. These look so good! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look great! When I get an oven again (soon) and the gumption to cook/bake, I'll have to try these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have mad oatmeal cookies but not oatmeal bars. These sound so good

    ReplyDelete