............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Thursday, April 18, 2013

5 Tips To Help Make Your Vegetable Garden A Success

By now you might be able to guess I am anxious to get my vegetable garden going. I have been scouring the Internet and reading all my gardening books for all the best tips in growing a great  vegetable garden. I figured as I am working on my garden I would share the information I found with all my gardening friends.

1. Save all your egg shells for your garden soil. What I do is crush the egg shells in to small bits and add it to my garden soil. This will give a boost to your vegetables. I also throw a handful into the holes where I am planting my tomato plants. This will help prevent blossom end rot.

2. Sprinkle a hand full of coffee grounds around your vegetables. The coffee will slowly release nitrogen which is very beneficial to your vegetable plants.

3. 1 tsp of Epsom salts and 4 cups of warm water sprayed on your plants will produce a boost in fruits in about ten days. Now this I have not tried. I have sprinkled Epsom salts on the soil around my plants. I will try this tip and see how it goes.

4. I found this on Pinterest. DIY plant food. I am going to try this.

Mix 1 cup coffee grounds, 2 crushed egg shells, 1/16 oz. ammonia, 1 cup water, 1/8 tsp Epsom salts. Stir well. Spoon this around the base of your flowering plants, except African Violets.


5. One last tip. I am planning to use this watering method with some of my vegetable plants. I found it on Pinterest of course.

Last years photo of the Mini Farm Sustainability Project. I am lending the same raised beds this year to their project. We can't wait to learn more from their gardening techniques.
I hope you will be able to benefit from some of these gardening tips. If you have any great tips to share please leave them in a comment. Happy Gardening.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you I think I will try a couple of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ammonia surprises me. Seems like that would hurt the plants or something? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I thought the same thing until I looked it up and evidently most fertilizers contain a from of ammonia. Ammonia applied directly to the soil will react with CO2 to produce urea ((NH2)2CO) fertilizer. Although I do not think its organic after reading up on the subject so I will skip the ammonia in my garden.

      Delete
  4. I am for sure going to try the plant food. I try to grow my garden as organic as possible.

    I have been over to Mini Farm Sustainability. They have a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good ideas, Bonnie. We use the egg shells and coffee grounds.... IF you ever read about good ways to keep weeds out --other than mulch (which sorta works and sorta not), let me know...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! I don't have a garden, but the group home where my sons live has a huge garden that I help with. I will definitely pass on the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips! I keep forgetting to save my egg shells. A tip I learned from my mom was to 'plant' banana peels around roses to give them a boost! Plus, I've found companion planting to be a great bug deterrent.
    http://riseaboveyourlimits.blogspot.com/2011/06/companion-planting-part-1.html

    ReplyDelete