............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Fried Green Tomatoes With Gluten Free Breading

I have had an over abundance of green tomatoes in our garden this year. The tomatoes seem to ripening much more slowly than normal. Seeing all those green tomatoes gave me a craving for breaded fried green tomatoes. I decided to try making them gluten free so that my grandson Little Bug might be able to enjoy them also.

Ingredients
2-3 sliced green tomatoes
4 tablespoons almond meal flour
2 tsp coconut flour
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
salt and pepper to taste
3-5 tablespoons olive oil for frying

Combine almond meal flour, coconut flour, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well.   Mix milk and egg together in a small bowl. Heat the pan with olive oil. I used medium heat. Dip the tomato slices in the egg mixture and then dip into breading. Fry each side until golden brown. Place on paper towels to absorb oil. Serve cold or hot.

They sure did turn out tasty. They lasted about 15 minutes on our table. How do you like your tomatoes? Do you have a favorite summer recipe?

18 comments:

  1. Oh Bonnie... Yummy. We have been making them also. My Hubs loves them so much. To his, I add garlic and hot peppers when I fry them.. but for me, I like them like you do them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM... I love Fried Green Tomatoes --although I never eat them much... That's neat that you could make them gluten-free.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not much into fried foods altogether and have never tried fried tomatoes - maybe one of these days

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, what a wonderful idea! I have always wanted to make fried green tomatoes and this recipe sounds easy enough for me to give a try! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you used coconut flour! Something I always have at home! I love the texture and taste it gives to anything you make with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love these. My mom use to make eggplant the same way and it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fried green tomatoes with a great remoulade. I love that you created a gluten-free recipe. It seems to be a common problem for a lot of people nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A southern tradition made gluten free. Thanks so much. I have not tried coconut flour but see it used a lot. Do you make your own?
    Dawn
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks very interesting and delicious! Believe it or not, I have never had fried green tomatoes! :-O Will definitely be giving this one a try. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never tried Fried Green tomatoes but this looks absolutely YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. we have never had green tomatoes. My 6 year old son will eat a bunch of tomatoes as they are

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never eaten these and I am from the South! Shame on my. I loved the movie though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've love fried green tomatoes! I've always wanted to know how to make them! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness those look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh they look delicious. I really need to pick up a few fresh green tomatoes before our growing season stops; since I haven't had any fried green tomatoes yet this year. Gasp what was I thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love fried green tomatoes. I haven't had them in years though. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete