............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Friday, June 22, 2012

Make Your Own Lavender Scented Bathroom Cleaner

We often have a problem with mold/mildew growing on the grout in one of our bathrooms. The bathroom I am having a problem with does not have a window for natural light and the only ventilation is the small ceiling fan. Using bleach to control the problem is not my favorite choice. I dislike using harsh chemicals in our home. I wanted to find a natural solution to the problem. I have often used vinegar as a mild household cleanser. Vinegar can be used to clean soap scum from shower walls and bathtubs and it can also kill mold. I first cleaned the bathroom and tile wall with diluted bleach making sure to remove all signs of mold.mildew. Frankly, I was in a hurry that is why I used the bleach first. To prevent regrowth of any mold or mildew I sprayed the shower walls and tub twice a week with the recipe below. I have been successful in controlling the mildew and mold growing in the grout for three months now. I do believe if I was not in a hurry and would have sprayed down the shower walls daily for a week or two I would have probably had the same results. 

Recipe
Lavender Scented Bathroom Cleaner
1 spray bottle
Fill bottle half way with water.
Add vinegar until almost full.
Add 2 or 3 drops of Lavender essential oil.
 (Lavender oil is a natural mildew killer that also removes mildew odor)
The vinegar scent evaporates very quickly. Leaving behind a light lavender scent.





8 comments:

  1. I didn't know all that about lavender. Cool. Thanks. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmmmm..... I wonder if eating lavender kills yeast fungus. Going to have to check that out.

    This is a great idea. I love the smell of lavender and if it kills mildew, then I am all for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful - and I love how easy it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this. I will have to give it a try. Just ran out of scrubbing bubbles so this would be a good time to try

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm. thanks so much for this info...
    I sure need to give it a try....Love the smell of lavender..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seen this in my e-mail the other day and I was like WOW I'm so going to do this I love lavender and that you can use it to kill mold I never knew that at all. You're awesome! Sorry I'm not getting to everybody fast the last couple of weeks has been so busy. I think I'm going to have a no computer weekend soon and go away and have a fun trip before school starts. Maybe camping in the mountains sounds great to me and I want to get some great pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe and tip. I have trouble trying to clean our bathrooms and I'm going to try this. I will have to get some Lavender Oil first, we are now growing it but I don't think I could get the oil from the plant. It doesn't seem to be growing well in our climate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe and tip. I have trouble trying to clean our bathrooms and I'm going to try this. I will have to get some Lavender Oil first, we are now growing it but I don't think I could get the oil from the plant. It doesn't seem to be growing well in our climate.

    ReplyDelete