............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Embracing The Season – Winter Walks

The following post was written in collaboration with and brought to you by Pavers.co.uk.

As temperatures begin to plummet and snow starts to fall, we seek shelter and warmth at home. This usually results in a lot of drawn-out evenings where the grandchildren are bored and you’re restless.
To combat this and make the most of the season, get wrapped up in your thickest coat and venture into the great outdoors! Here are just a few ways you can embrace the season:

Snowball fights

As soon as there’s an adequate level of snow on the ground, the kids will be itching to go outside. Before you go, make sure you’re all suitably wrapped up with coats, hats, ear-muffs and gloves. Speaking of which, if you’re going engage in a friendly snowball fight with your grand-kids, you should pick up a pair of gloves that won’t leave your hands wet and numb. A pair of leather gloves like these from Pavers, are perfect.

Sledding

If you know any good hills that are near your home, you should definitely relive your youth by going sledding! There are a variety of sleds available from most toy retailers; choose one that’s sturdy and easy for the kids to fit into. If you can fit into it yourself, that’s an added bonus! Amazon has some excellent sleds you can order in time for the coming snowfall. 
Whizzing down the hill is a hoot, and the trek back up again is an excellent workout for you and the kids. Just remember that some children have seemingly infinite amounts of energy, so schedule regular breaks for less strenuous activities if you start feeling tired.

Snow sculpting

Sledding brings us nicely onto out next activity. Snowmen, snow igloos and snow angles are all excellent laid back winter games. Help the kids create a snowman that will stand tall throughout the season; just make sure you pack the trademark carrot, scarf and hat to complete the look. Building an igloo is a little more involved, but the extra effort goes a long way in creating a magical outdoor experience. This guide on instructables can be followed over the course of a few days until you create a structure even Pingu would be proud to call home!

Treasure hunt

Nothing says fun quite like a treasure hunt! Buy a couple of small Christmas treats and bury them in the garden the night before the kids arrive. Write out some easy to follow clues and give them to the kids, so that they can track down your hidden treasure. Arm them with a small shovel or trowel and they’re ready to start playing Indian Jones!

Health and Safety

In order to have the best time possible, it’s important that you take these necessary precautions. Dress for the weather. Layering your clothing will allow you to remove a layer if you become overheated. Take a watch with you and keep track of how long you’re outdoors. If they start to complain about numbness or aching pains, take them indoors immediately to warm up by the fire. You’ll also want to make sure the kids, and yourself, stay properly hydrated during the time outside. It may seem like madness to take water out with you on a freezing day, but it’s very easy to become dehydrated when you’re running around during the more physically asserting games. Stay safe and have fun out there!

27 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie, I love winter ---but we don't get much winter here. I am hoping for some snow this winter --since we had very little last year... My hubby was born and raised in Indiana --and he doesn't like Winter as much as I do... I'm just a southern gal who doesn't know too much about winter... ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys LOVE to play in the snow. Last winter we had feet (yes feet) of snow for the boys to play in and I am definitley hoping for a bit less this year LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a really long winter season in our area. So it is important we stay protected against the cold, and learn to enjoy it too. We are always building snowmen and sledding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to live on the west coast now where I don't have to deal with snow. I wouldn't mind enjoying snow once or maybe twice a year though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great winter tips. I am going to embrace winter tonight with some warm fuzzy slippers on my feet as I sit by the fire and drink some hot cocoa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The treasure hunt is such a good idea. I'm surprised I haven't thought of it before, but you can bet I'll be trying it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been quite a few years since I have had a snowball fight or even went sled riding. I kind of like to be in where it is warm when the snow starts flying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dressing in the winter is majorly important. Our first sledding trip last year, my daughter insisted on wearing skinny pants despite everyone warning her not to. Guess who was the first one done sledding...and had to sit in the car and watch us sliding down the hill? She dresses now, I'll tell ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have an exchange student from Brazil living with us and this will be her first winter. We are so excited to take her sledding and all the other snow activities we can think of! Warm gloves are a necessity especially for her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had a hill by our old house that we could sled down. Now the kids have moved out and we don't do much of that anymore. But if it snows this year I am going to make my bf get out with me and make a snow man!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Winter can be amazing - I love crisp fresh snow so snowball fights are a love for me lol x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thankfully we do not have much snow at our home during the winter. The kids love it if we ever do, but me, not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know winter is really amazing in other countries where there is snow - I wish i could experience those things too - I'd love to be a kid again, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your post has perfect timing! We were just discussing buying a sled at dinner time! Such fun can be had in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never though of a treasure hunt
    such a good idea. We get plenty of snow and the boys like it so it is nice to have activities for them to do outside.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I keep begging my husband to get us to a place where we can do all of those things. We live in Florida, been here my entire life. It is beautiful here, but I really want a change - snowball fights and sledding sound great to me (even snow shoveling).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Staying hydrated is really a must. A lot of people don't drink as much water during the colder months but you need to still keep on drinking. Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm jealous of you people that have snow! Here in this part of Cali, we just get freezing temperatures & rain, ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are such fun tips for winter and believe me we get winter where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We love playing in the snow, probably because we don't get much of it. Your hydration tip is a good one. Also, when dressing for the weather, remember to take into consideration that you'll get very wet playing in the snow so knit gloves and hats aren't your best choice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am in Texas so we get no snow, This will be my first green Christmas ever since I am from up north I will miss making a snowman this year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love winter. I was raised in a cold weather state and it never bothered me. As a kid, we would do all the snow sports. I love the snow. However, it is really important to make sure you are prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how you added the health and safety tips. Those are definitely important, especially with cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My boys and my husband love to play in the snow. Me, not so much. When it snows around here, all I can think about is buying salt to spread in front of the house and digging the snowblower our of the garage.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love winter for the first few months, then I am ready for it to warm up and run through the whole cycle again. My kids are big enough now they love playing in the snow. I can't wait for it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so envious! We don't have snow here in the Philippines, but I'd love to experience it someday!

    ReplyDelete