............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Baking Bread

My family loves home made bread. I love making bread. When I say I love making bread I mean by hand not by machine. I do have a bread machine and I used  it when I worked a full time job. I really enjoy the kneading process most. Here is the basic recipe I use often. This can be used to make a loaf of bread, dinner rolls or bread sticks.

My little helper.


Basic White Bread

3 cups of white flour(or bread flour) plus a little extra for kneading
1 package of active dry yeast 
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup warm water
1 small egg

In a small bowl dissolve sugar in the warm water, add yeast and allow to proof. (foam)
Mix flour and salt together. Add  oil and yeast mixture to the flour. Mix until dough pulls off the side of the bowl. Add a dusting of flour if sticky. If the dough is stiff or dry add a few drops of warm water.
Knead until dough is smooth on the surface.
Place in a well oiled bowl. Rolling the dough over until all sides of dough are oiled. Cover with a damp towel. Keep out of drafts.  Allow to rise until double in size. 45 minutes to 1 hour. 
Remove from bowl and knead for a couple minutes. Divide and shape dough as you like. Place in a well oiled pan. Brush with beaten egg yolk. Allow to rise about 30 minutes. 
Bake 30 minutes in a 350 degrees F oven.

Tawnasplan


#ff63e0

22 comments:

  1. Yum, I LOOOOOOVE bread! Thanks for this. :)

    http://amommyslifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how we make it in my family. Well, it's how one of my sister's makes it. I've not made bread in a while. My have to have this kind of fun over the weekend. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious. I need to try making bread one day. I've been wanting to get a bread maker, and now I just might have to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute little helper! My son loves to "help" me make bread as well! I'm returning the follow, thanks so much! --Christine at Why We Love Green

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bread looks wonderful. My family also like homemade bread.

    I am a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just may have to try this, looks yummy!

    Thanks for following, I'm following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bread looks good! I'll have to try it. :-)
    Thanks for the follow, I'm following you back.

    iphonemom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now don't those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so good!! He is lucky to have grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so good!
    Thanks for the follow, following back!
    Kaeli’s Kiwis Reviews and Giveaways

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to bake bread too. :-) So good that you are starting your grand-kids in the kitchen so early. They will have great memories with their grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your comment and for following me. I really enjoy making bread, I'm going to try this recipe. Thanks. Also, im following you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What cute little helper! I was wish I was more patient to make bread...looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh. Yum. That looks amAZing!! (Coming over from wordless wednesday--thanks for following Tmuffin.com!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to bake bread a lot. We loved it fresh out of the oven. It was so much more filling and tasty than shop bread.

    Yours looks great. Might have to try it soon.

    *newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love homemade bread, another recipe the kids can help mom with. Yay :-) I'm your newest follower. Thanks for the post and thanks for following The Life of the Party.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love bread! Very nice easy recipe. I tend to make my bread in a bread machine. This looks easy and fool-proof enough that I should venture and try it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not too many people say that they love making bread by hand! I'm with you ... the whole process is rather like meditation. I also think that it helps a person "know" the dough and learn how to judge if it is too dry, wet, etc. Thanks for sharing your recipe ... it's look wonderful!
    Sml Footprints

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh YUM!! I love the taste of warm, fresh homemade bread! I am saving this recipe in my favorites. I always dodged bread recipes because I thought it was hard to make, but your recipe sounds soooo easy! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now we're talking. I think homemade bread is the best thing ever made. Momma used to make bread every week. She had this huge stainless steel dish pan she used. I remember her taking it out to the truck on hot days and sitting it inside so it would rise faster. She also used to make sweet rolls. I will have to post that recipe some day.

    ReplyDelete