............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

DIY: Christmas Grape Vine Wreath

Many years ago my friend gave my husband and I a grape vine wreath for our first Christmas as a married couple. I had the wreath for many years. Some how with all our travels we lost the wreath. I decided to make my own wreath this year. Why not with all the grape vines on our property. I know we will be pruning them soon so why not use a few vines to make my wreath.
First I cut a bunch of vines. I then taped one end. I would have normally used floral wire instead of tape but I thought the tape would stand out in my photos better.
This was my first bunch. The vines are about 10 to 12 feet long. I added a few more vines after the picture. I then held the taped end in one hand. with my other hand I pulled the vine in an arch then worked it back to the taped end. I taped the vines where they met together.
 
 
Then I pulled the vines around one last time. I tucked the ends in to the openings weaving in and out as much as I could.
 
 
I then cute a couple ends off a blue spruce bough. I tied the ends of the spruce tips together with twine. Then I tied on a couple pine cones to the spruce tips.
 
 
I tied the spruce tips and pine cones to the wreath. I added a bow and its ready to hang.
 
What are your favorite Christmas decorations?
 

12 comments:

  1. I think I would have to say - the decorations my mother made - she was a master crafter and I have all her handiwork now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative! My favorite Christmas decoration is my tree topper - it was my grandparents'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it turned out so pretty and how awesome that you made it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice Bonnie. I used to make these when we lived on the farm. You did a great job. Love it.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I like this so simple but such a statement. I will have to try this. Thank you.B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your grapevine wreath... SO pretty.... I used to make wreaths for our door (seasonally) ---but gave it up after several years. But---I still have several wreaths (4 outside--3 in front and 1 in back; one on the door and one over the hearth) and love them...

    It's hard to pick a favorite Christmas decoration---but I guess my angel collection is my overall favorite.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really cute and creative! Great job! I have a faux green wreath I like to add natural things like feathers and berries to each Christmas. That's one of my favorite decorations.

    Visiting from Rural Thursday :)

    Tammy
    ourneckofthewoods.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bear With Me...Very nice♫ My nativity set....I have several sets, one of which I leave out all year♫

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the wreath. We usually use a few evergreen boughs in a flower pot for decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very neat. I can't say I could pick a favorite Christmas decoration...hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mother was very creative and talented with homemade Christmas decorations. I still have some of her beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know you are away with the grands, just wanted to stop in and say hello.

    ReplyDelete