............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Protecting Garden Seedlings From Spring Frost And Snow

Back at the beginning of the week I saw the weather forecast and almost cried. There was a forecast of snow and cold temperatures.  My garden seedlings had just poked their heads up out of the soil. I know the peas would probably be OK because they are cold tolerant. I just did not want to take a chance.  Last year I lost many plants to an unpredicted frost. This is what I did to protect my seedlings.
I had a bin of plastic water bottles that were headed to the recycling center. I cut off the tops of the water bottles and pressed them in the soil over the seedlings.

It worked amazingly well. Complete portable protection. I waited for the snow to melt off the following day and took the bottles off ASAP. I did not want to overheat the seedlings. How is your garden coming along? Happy Gardening! 


6 comments:

  1. That's great it worked so well! I still need to get plants in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't started planting anything yet. I probably won't do anything until some time in May... hopefully there will be no frost after I get things planted.
    I used plastic bottles last year when a frost came through. They work GREAT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic idea! We moved into a new house and are just now getting our garden growing. Will keep this in mind for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wanted to stop back over and wish you a Happy Easter. Today is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm behind on my garden and haven't planted anything yet, but this is a great idea. I hope when I do get time the risk of frost will be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to protect young seedlings from bad weather.... Our biggest culprit this winter was not the young seedlings... Because our temperatures went down to a -10 degrees on at least two different occasions, we have damage to our holly bushes and some of our azaleas... It was an extremely cold winter for us this past year....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete