............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Koi Fry and Frogs

We have been real busy this week with tons of yard work that has been put off until now. While skimming lawn clipping off my koi pond I was amazed to see so many baby(fry) koi. We have had our koi produce before but we only had a few hatch and survive over the years. Well, this year we have at least one hundred or possibly more. I had no idea the pond conditions must have been perfect as it takes a lot of work to get koi to spawn and eggs to hatch. I wonder if it was our busy schedule that made us leave the pond take care of itself.
I am sharing a few pictures I was able to catch today. I had a hard time capturing a close up of the fish. They can see me approaching and do not want to get their picture taken. I guess they could be camera shy. I was able to get some great closeups of one of our pond frogs.





We are now going to be busy extending and deepening our second pond to accommodate our new pets. I will have to keep you updated if I do not get too busy.

7 comments:

  1. How cool that you have a pond! I like the pic w/ the frog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if it has to do with very hot weather we have been having. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is awesome - for you - lol - not sure I could do one. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh I love the pretty photos. My mom and dad have never succeeded in raising any Koi from theirs. Maybe their conditions aren't right in their pond or something. They bought an "artificial" pond instead of having one dug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome!! I bet the little ladies are having a blast feeding all those beautiful fish. They probably think about catching those frogs. LOL We have a song on a cd about catching a frog and scaring the girls. But it turned out, the girls liked the frog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never lived somewhere where I could have one, but now I sure do want one! Congrats that you got that many, maybe doing nothing was the answer :)

    ReplyDelete