............................................Welcome To Grandma Bonnie's Closet.............................................

Friday, October 19, 2012

Butternut Squash Fries

We are still working on our new healthy eating plan and have been looking for alternative recipes for our favorite foods. If you follow Grandma Bonnie's Closet on Pinterest you may have noticed I have pinned lots of dairy free, gluten free and paleo recipes. One of the pins I see popping up in various forms is butternut squash fries. Now I have made sweet potato fries before and found they were OK but not a favorite. I had this butternut squash sitting on my counter for several days. I wanted to make a healthy snack for Little Bug. Why not try these new fries? So, here we go!
First I boil the squash for about eight minutes on the bottom. ( do not over boil or the squash will be to soft.) Then flip and boil for eight on the top.

I did this to soften the peel. This makes it easy to cut and peel. 
Now cut the squash in french fry strips. Toss the fries in olive oil and bake in a preheated 400 deg. oven  Once fries are beginning to brown flip over. Bake until preferred crispness. 


Little Bug enjoyed his fries!
What healthy snack have you made recently?

7 comments:

  1. That looks so delicious. I'm ashamed to say that I have not taken the time to invent any recipes this week nor have I made a healthy snack. I plan to shove everything aside this weekend and get in the kitchen.
    I don't think I have even heard of butternut squash fried before. I think you just invented a new tummy yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made this before - interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I would love these. I eat a lot of squash because it doesn't feed candida... not unless you make a pig of yourself anyway.

    We do ours on the grill a lot. Yummmmm you are making me hungry for squash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie, Your squash fries sound GREAT ---and even though they are fried, they are more healthy than fried potatoes....

    You do need to go back to Hocking Hills sometime. GORGEOUS place.

    Hope you have had a great week.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I would love these! I love sweet potato fries (they are usually really yam fries, but they never call them that). Yummmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound so delicious. I've not made any healthy snacks for awhile, but I have started making my own healthy vinegar/oil/herb salad dressing...yum!

    ReplyDelete